Table of Contents
Student troubleshooting runbooks
Asking a question
Asking questions is a great way to improve your work and find out what you are doing right or wrong in my class. Please remember that questions end with a question mark, not a period!
How to demonstrate a problem with your laptop or a program
If you would like to ask for an extension on an assignment because of legitimate technical issues, you must complete the steps below.
- Quit all running applications using Command-Q (check the dock for dots underneath application icons to see if any apps are running in the background and quit them as well)
- Reboot the laptop by going to the Apple menu in the upper-left corner of your screen and choosing Restart
- Log back in
- Press Command-Shift-5, choose Record Entire Screen, click on Options, and choose Show Mouse Clicks (and the microphone if you want to give verbal comments while recording)
- Press Record or click anywhere on the screen to start recording and demonstrate the problem
- Stop recording by pressing the Stop button in the global menu at the top of the screen
- Send the recording along with any written explanation to me (and optionally the Helpdesk) via email